No, it’s not a film about 4 friends falling in love with the same man. It’s a story of 4 educated urban girlfriends dealing with life and overcoming them.
VEERE DI WEDDING is a high spirited and upbeat coming of age story revolving around the lives of four childhood friends Kalindi (Kareena Kapoor), Avni (Sonam kapoor), Meera (ShikhaTalsania) & Sakshi (Swara Bhaskar).
Ten years later when these four best friends reunite, they don’t realize how much life has changed from what they expected. The film is set against the backdrop of Delhi, where the girls are born and brought up, their trials and tribulations in modern-day world, regarding family acceptance, marriage & societal perceptions.
For the records, to all the men out there it’s not a female version of Pyaar Ka Punchnama where the men are scared of commitment and women are desperate to get married and no it’s not a male bashing movie at all. You can watch this movie with your girlfriends, partner and even guy friends. It’s all about friendship and dealing with life in your own way and still having friends who wont judge you but will be with you through thick and thin. It’s a portal of urban reality where women also curse sometimes more than men, drink more than occasionally and are sexuality active.
Here are 5 reasons why you should watch this movie :
- Feminocentric: We finally have a women-centric movie starring Sonam Kapoor Ahuja, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Swara Bhasker and Shikha Talsania which will blow your mind with all the girly bitchy things in the world. The movie is indeed a female version of fun.
- Dialogues: One of the most attracting things about the movie is the language used which is so like ours. We never knew that f**k can be used in movies by Indian women just the way we use it to express our uncontrollable emotions. Isn’t that so amazing to hear them talk like us?
- Star cast: t’s so stunning to see all the four unbeatable actresses, Sonam, Kareena, Swara and Shikha sharing the silver screen together for the first time. Let’s see what Kareena has to offer to us after her pregnancy and Sonam after her marriage. You will also see Sumeet vyas (who we have seen earlier in web series like permanent roommates and tripling’s) plays the character of Kareena’s boyfriend and a fresh face Vishwas Kini who plays a typical Delhi boy’s role and is Sonam’s suitor in the movie.
- Costumes: We can make out clearly from the actresses promotional outfit that they are going to sizzle in their mind-blowing costumes in the movie. The jaw-dropping outfits of these pretty ladies are to die for and are all set to change the ongoing trend. Even the casual attires of these ladies are breathtaking.
- Music: We now have a lot many songs added to the list of the next sangeet function in our family from this movie. We bet you won’t be able to stop yourself from grooving on the dance numbers which are full on desi. The film also gives us a female buddy anthem which will make you fall in love with your bestie all over again.
Here are few things that we thought went wrong with the movie:
- Brand placement: I know this movie has been in production for over 2 years and was on hold in between due to Kareena’s pregnancy and it was difficult for Ekta & Rhea Kapoor to raise funds for the movie but the brand placements in the movie is over the top and super lame. From UBER to HSBC to Bharat Matrimonial and Amul, at a point you feel that the scene was designed specifically to boost the sponsors ego.
- Swara’s & Shikha’s Character: No doubt Kareena and Sonam’s characters are the main focus in this movie but Swara and Shikha also have the fair amount of screen space, I just wish we could see more of Swara’s Married life and what went wrong and also more of Shikha’s & Husband (Edward Sonnenblick).
- Shorter Screenplay: No doubt that the movie was sharp and crisp. At no point it felt like a drag and both the halves were super interested and it was not predictable at all which is why I wanted the movie to last longer. Somehow we didn’t want it to end.
- No Screen Space: Even after asking for work on social media strong talented actor Neena Gupta did get work in VDW but it’s literally dumbed down to a special appearance which is a disappointment. I wish we got to see more of her TOO.
Director : Shashanka Ghosh
Rating – 4.5/5
I collaborated with Neelam Joshi AKA Bollywood Baai, Bhumi Joshi and Ursala to review this movie. Here is our take on the film immediately post watching it. Please let us know what do you think about the movie.